If your air conditioning system keeps your Charlotte area home comfortably cool during the hot summer months, you will want to raise a glass of iced tea in honor of Willis Havilland Carrier. An Inductee of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Carrier designed the world’s first modern system for air conditioning in 1902.
The invention of Carrier air conditioners changed the world. Carrier solved the problem of controlling indoor environments; not only making homes more comfortable, but also making it possible to safely transport perishable items, such as food and medical supplies, over long distances.
A Brief History of Carrier Air Conditioners:
- 1906 – The Buffalo Forge Company installed the first Carrier’s Apparatus for Treating Air in a cotton mill.
- 1925 – A Carrier centrifugal kept both skaters and ice cool at Madison Square Garden’s indoor rink.
- 1928 – The first high-rise building went up with air conditioning installed as it was built.
- 1939 – The World’s Fair showcased the Carrier Igloo of Tomorrow, introducing 1.3 million visitors to air conditioning.
- 1946 – Carrier air conditioners were installed in 702 homes in Pennsylvania.
- 1994 to today – Carrier leads the industry in developing environmentally friendly, energy-efficient systems, and encourages the phaseout of ozone-depleting refrigerants.
Carrier Installations Around the World:
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens in Virginia
- Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence, Italy
- Singapore Expo, the largest exhibition center in Asia,
- Sistine Chapel in Rome, Italy
Carrier is part of United Technology Corp. (UTC) a company focused on providing innovations and technology worldwide. As part of UTC, Carrier air conditioners utilize 67 manufacturing facilities and nine research and design centers. More than 60,000 employees are constantly looking for ways to improve products for more energy efficiency and comfort.
Carrier air conditioners continue to honor Willis Carrier’s legacy with systems built on energy efficiency and sustainability. Ross & Witmer has been bringing these benefits to the people in the Charlotte area since 1945. Contact us today for all your air conditioning needs. Let’s all raise a glass to toast Willis Carrier’s life-altering invention. If a Carrier air conditioner can cool the Sistine Chapel, just think what it can do for your home.