Carbon Monoxide is one of the most dangerous gases that can accumulate within your home. Produced by the burning of fuels such as coal, wood, propane and natural gas, this odorless and colorless gas is poisonous even in small concentrations. In fact, every year nearly 200 people die in the United States from CO poisoning, which could have been prevented had CO detectors been installed in their homes.
Here are some things you can do to protect yourself from CO poisoning and how you can use a CO detector to protect your family:
- Make sure your kitchen and work spaces are properly ventilated and that the gases generated from cooking or working are vented outside the home.
- Read the instructions carefully on your appliances and tools carefully, and use them appropriately. Fuel-burning camping gear, grills (either charcoal or propane) and tools specifically designed for outdoor usage should never be used within the home.
- Install and maintain appliances according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Check them periodically to ensure they are operating properly and that pipes and fittings have not come loose.
- Never operate or work on a vehicle within the garage even if the garage doors are open.
- Check vents and chimney flues regularly for blockages, corrosion and soot buildup that could hinder proper ventilation.
- If your fuel-burning appliances break and require repair, contact a professional. This will not only reduce the risk of accidents, but it will ensure the work is completed properly and to code.
Most importantly, install CO detectors in the bedrooms, kitchens and work spaces within your home. Having multiple detectors that meet the UL 2034 safety standard will give you ample warning should a CO buildup occur. This is not a substitute for proper equipment handling and maintenance, but it is your last line of defense against a preventable tragedy.
For help choosing and installing CO detectors in your home, contact Ross & Witmer by calling 704-392-6188. We have been assisting Gaston area homeowners protect their homes and families since 1945, and we would be happy to make you our next safe and satisfied client.