What Type of Furnace Should I Install?

July 8, 2013
Ross and Witmer

“What type of furnace should I install?” It’s a valid question, and one that gets more urgent when you realize how many brands and types of furnaces are available for your home heating needs. The professionals at Ross & Witmer sell, install and service Carrier furnaces, one of the HVAC industry’s most reliable and best-known brands.

Carrier offers a selection of gas and oil furnaces that can fit your budget requirements. These hard-working systems provide excellent indoor comfort at a reasonable monthly price.

  • Gas furnaces use natural gas as fuel to generate the heat for your home. A gas furnace will require a connection to a gas supply line from your local utility company.
  • Oil furnaces burn fuel oil to generate heat. This type of oil is usually stored in a large tank near your home. As supplies are used, the tank will have to be refilled by a local supplier.

Top-level Carrier furnaces are extremely efficient. Furnace efficiency is measured by its AFUE number. AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, and indicates the percentage of energy in the fuel that is converted to usable heat. An AFUE 80 gas furnace, for example, turns 80 percent of the energy in the gas into heat, while the remaining 20 percent is lost. The higher the AFUE number, the greater the furnace efficiency. High-efficiency models (AFUE 90 and above) are usually Energy Star certified, as well, which means they have met rigorous government standards for efficient operation.

Carrier models such as the Infinity 96 gas furnace provide efficiency at more than AFUE 96, which means that almost all the fuel used by the furnace becomes heat for your home. Lower-cost models such as the Comfort 80 oil furnace line have AFUE ratings of nearly 87.

With more than 68 years of experience in the heating and cooling industry, Ross & Witmer is a premier source of HVAC sales, installation and service in Charlotte and the surrounding North Carolina communities. When you need to know “what type of furnace should I install?” we can help you find a reliable Carrier heating system that will fit your budget and home comfort needs.

Leave a comment


Recent Posts